What is choking? What can you do when you are choking?
Blocking of the flow of air to the lungs is called choking. It happens when something gets lodged in your airway and you gasp for breath. You may not get enough time to go to the hospital.
You will not able to speak to tell someone what has happened.
What can you do?
You can save yourself by abdominal thrusts or Heimlich Manoeuvre
It’s simple and here’s how you do it:
• Make a fist and place the thumb side of your fist against your upper abdomen, below the ribcage and above the navel
• Grasp your fist with your other hand
• Press the fist into your upper abdomen with a quick upward thrust.
• Repeat the abdominal thrust until object is expelled.
You can also
• lean over a fixed horizontal object (table edge, chair, railing)
• press your upper abdomen against the edge to produce a quick upward thrust
• repeat until the object is expelled.
This will press the lungs and push out the bit of food or whatever it is that got lodged in your airway.
At hospital you may need to have the object removed with a bronchoscope, an instrument that enters your lungs through your mouth.
It is good to see a physician even if your rescue is complete without going to hospital.